The Sticky Wicket

This is a story of a girl. A girl who had met the boy, fell in love, was asked, accepted, and made the plans - only to be told 4 years later that it had been a good ride. This is the story of a heartbreak. And the possible rebuilding of Rome from the ashes.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Grits Fire, Mormons and Print for Today

Background: I interrupted a lot as a child, and got in trouble for it.Once after just being yelled at for it, I was in charge of stirring the grits on the stove while my mother spoke with my grandfather in the yard.

I went out to tell mom something, got the evil death look, you know that one. So after about 5 minutes, she finishes and sweetly asks what I need (and why I wasn't stirring the grits.) Well, the stove and by now the kitchen was on fire. I read something somewhere out there in blogland a few weeks ago that made me think of this. Still giggling!

I was raised LDS. This has had serious implications on my adult life. Example: I love to bake. But it is such a dirty secret that my boyfriend and bestfriend don't let out, because that is too Molly Mormon of me. I can't even admit that I like to bake because that would send the family into a rousing chorus of "Families Can Be Together Forever" and waiting for me to return to the flock "Reverently, Quietly."

I don't think it is a cult. That is very judgmental. Faith is great. Faith of any sort under any auspice. As long as your faith doesn't infringe on my own spirituality or choice. My little brother left for the MTC last week. They convinced him to be excited that he was assigned to Provo. He wanted international so badly. It didn't even cross his mind to turn down the offer, and looked so pitying at me when I suggested it.

Today in the life of Kc (and that is my name, VJ, "Kc" sounds like Casey, no changing names to protect the innocent here.): I took time away from my 8-10-12 hour lab days yesterday to stay at home and sit by the pool and have some time for thoughts.

Thoughts:
  1. It is not ridiculous that DCS needs time to grow up, yet also wants time to still act like a kid.
  2. I still want to have freedom and chase dreams too. And I want to chase them together with him.
  3. Maybe if I can be more receptive and open minded to what he needs that will spur him to be receptive to what I need. This mostly revolves around my need to have a commitment from him before I move back into the country leaving behind my house, and paycheck here for an uncertain relationship. (But you know writing it out makes my concerns feel very valid again...) So I mentioned to him last night that my moving home in December does not need to be perceived as commitment pressure as I will not be requiring a reinstatement of the engagement beforehand.
  4. Maybe I am the only one willing to see the other side. Maybe I am the only one willing to bend. How long should I be the only one really in the game?

These were my thoughts.

1 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks KC, I'll use that. You know what they call day old grits where I come from? Stucco! (It works!)

Everyone needs dreams to reach for, and achievable goals to move this process forward in a reasonable manner. I'd say on #3, if it was me, I'd require some commitment from the bugger (DCS) before giving all that up. Yes, again, he needs to come across like a man. And I know he must be a dear sweet thing, but he seems fairly tardy and negligent in this. Seriously so. I'd say set some date for this, but you've let several natural ones slide already.

So it might be for the best for you to finish out your degree and tell him that you're ready to move on with or without him. And then do it.

Kitchen disasters: Since I'm about 50% of your regular commenting audience here, I think I can safely tell the tale of when I almost burned my kitchen down. I was making pasta sauce and boiling water for pasta at the same time. I realized I was missing some ingredient for the dinner, so I set the suce on simmer and went out to the store to fetch the other part. And of course forgot that I had left the water boiling on the stove. I slowly came to this realization in the check out line. Did I run? No, I calmly paid for my groceries (I needed them for dinner after all), and then left in a bit of a hurry. I was relieved to see that our house had not burned down, but as I opened the door from the garage all hell broke loose. The house was filled with smoke, all smoke alarms going, and the aluminum pan had just about completely melted into the electric stove top. I quickly removed the pan and threw it on fire into the sink, and cut off the power to the burner. After letting it all cool I began scrapping and chipping off the chared bits of the pan from the burner coil. They were tough stoves then. The stove and that burner survived fine, the house took some hours to air out, and I learned the valuable lesson of not cooking while away unless in a crock pot. And I was older than you are now when it happened.

Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home