The Sticky Wicket

This is a story of a girl. A girl who had met the boy, fell in love, was asked, accepted, and made the plans - only to be told 4 years later that it had been a good ride. This is the story of a heartbreak. And the possible rebuilding of Rome from the ashes.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Self-righteousness

I want to write on the idea of self-righteousness. This afternoon, after being blown off by DCS last night (mantra: he is busy too, give him space. He is working) He calls this afternoon. I encourage him to tell me all about the terminal visit (he works with trains, remember?) because I am genuinely interested. And he is so excited to tell of his trip. He got to drive a hopper! He got to load a train! He got to unload a train! These are very exciting things to an office bound economist/business managment fellow. I am genuinely happy that he is having such a good time. Really!

In the dark depths of my head, I feel a tiny bit self-righteous about being the “big man.” You know being honestly happy that he is having a good time and encourage him to go when I hear them yelling in the background, and to have a great dinner with all his new co-worker friends from this business trip (even though he blew me off.) He hurt my feelings, and yet I can still honestly feel happy that he is having a good time. That makes me have a gold star in my head.

Maybe self-righteous isn’t the right word…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home