The Sticky Wicket

This is a story of a girl. A girl who had met the boy, fell in love, was asked, accepted, and made the plans - only to be told 4 years later that it had been a good ride. This is the story of a heartbreak. And the possible rebuilding of Rome from the ashes.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Where are you?


Let’s play count the clichés in my life:
1. Grad Student
Dirt poor
Working hours shifted so that the end of my work day is at 5. AM.
2. Chick
27 and ticking
4.5 years vested in relationship and antsy
3. Education
Concerned that I will end up doing something completed unrelated to my degree.

I haven’t been writing here because I have been writing quite a bit on the old thesis. If it makes you feel any better, oh gentle reader, I have been ignoring my real life friends too. Thesis is sometimes an all consuming affair - like a nasty, jealous lover. All this being said, however, I have pounded out a semblance of a first draft. In fact, I will be printing the beast and delivering it to my professor by the end of the weekend. An entire week of my desired timeline, but seeing as it was completely arbitrary and based off no real understanding of time needed, I don’t think it is too bad. As my mum said “the light at the end of the tunnel is blinding!” I am loathe to get feeling too giddy about the prospects, as I haven’t had ANY feedback from the professor, but still the giddiness lifts my spirits, and buoys my soul.

Speaking of lightness of step, I am stepping lightly after a Valentine’s weekend visit from DCS. Surprised him at the airport (he was to rent a car and drive over) and took him to the waterfall the next day. A lovely evening of cooking together and connecting ensued. The following day (our Vday) was a day at our favorite beach, way up beyond the people and very isolated. We stretched out a blanket beneath the trees and just soaked up the sun, the salt, the love and presence of the other. That evening I created a stellar (if I do say so myself….) Valentine’s dinner to accompany the wine he brought down with him. All in all it was a postcard weekend – Tropical Waterfall, stargazing and full moon with wine by the pool, lounging on the beach and then a luscious dinner to celebrate love. *sigh*

Of course the dropping him off at the airport sucks, but it isn’t nearly painful now as it was, now it is just annoying because I know that I will be back in FL in just three weeks. And then home for good SOON! While he was here we also packed up all but 2 weeks worth of clothes and took all the pictures off the wall to be transferred to the Jax house. I love the feeling of actual planning and movement on the official moving home project. SUCH A GREAT FEELING!!!!

1 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mostly all good news here KC. Congrats on finishing a first draft. If you did it right, it might be just all clean up from here. And yes, many, many people have jobs wholly unrelated to their degrees. Many do well at it despite this fact. But this is not too worrisome just yet.

I'm glad to hear that the romance finally reappeared for DCS, and that he's feeling something now. The clock should be running for him too, this is way too long to putter around with out much in the way of definite plans. (And no, living together is a plan, but we never know how definite or permanent that is). We hope and trust he's overcome whatever difficulties he had earlier, or else they will reappear with a vengeance not too soon after the move. I'm always wary about the maturity issues here, but of course he's not alone in this.

Being rich is not so much having nice things, or lots of money, it's having dependable people around you that you can trust and rely upon and yes love. Many people with plenty of cash never get to this sort of 'rich'.

But I'd make certain that almost all of your course work requirements are done before moving in seriously with him. He'll take plenty of work, and much of your time to get him to a staging point to where he's willing to face some truth. The work should be completed first, that's the far more serious & direct task at hand. The inputs you make into the project & thesis normally bear fruit and advancement & progress. The same still can not be said for the time spent with DCS, pleasantly distracting though it may be. 'Nuff said. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home