The Sticky Wicket

This is a story of a girl. A girl who had met the boy, fell in love, was asked, accepted, and made the plans - only to be told 4 years later that it had been a good ride. This is the story of a heartbreak. And the possible rebuilding of Rome from the ashes.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Muckety-Muck In the Field

I work, right now, with the National Wildlife Refuge system. Wild places for wild animals. A great agency. I visited one refuge in the field. Amazing people to work with and out there on the ground caring for the resources of our nation.

I was able to visit a southwest Florida refuge and seine for fish in a fish sampling effort and kayak through mangrove forests and see first hand the hurricane damage of last year's storms, talk management and policy with refuge managers and how they translate from congressional orders and agency to actual workload on staffers. I was also able to tag along and watch an environmental educator for the refuge work her magic with children and adults alike. It takes a special type of educator to actively engage a group from 3 years old to senior citizens.

I count myself very lucky to have been able to do this last week and am very appreciative of the amazing experience I have had.

Thank you Ding Darling.

(and they even considered me a DC muckety-muck with the accompanying treatment. That was cool)

and I talked every evening with DCS and talked out the events of the weekend before (as well as the big issue.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home