The Sticky Wicket

This is a story of a girl. A girl who had met the boy, fell in love, was asked, accepted, and made the plans - only to be told 4 years later that it had been a good ride. This is the story of a heartbreak. And the possible rebuilding of Rome from the ashes.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Back on the Wagon

So, with the crush time of both thesis defense, conference prep, conference, moving, settling, etc. - I have been lost to internetland. Have no fear, recent introduction and fast friend forming with the BEE-YOO-TE-FUL new library has allowed me to reconnect with the web. Got an appy for my favorite addiction - Pottery Barn. Maybe some mindless employ might help. A bit of moola, a discount, and maybe I can make my life seem like the pages of perfection that their catalog implies (yes - I do know that that statement is a head doctor's playground.)

To catch you up:
DEFENSE (said in a sing song basket ball game type voice): done! Passed well too
Conference: presentation went well, conference went well, saw old friends and colleagues, made new ones
Fellowship: find out within the week
Move off Armpit Island: Successful, if you don't count that I couldn't sell my Jeep and the single possible offer is less than 1/3 what I had wanted to get (that is stressing me a bit)


Yes, I am in DCS land. Things have been INCREDIBLY rocky. I am not dumb enough to blame it entirely on the us matter, because I know that moving an loss of home, truck, change in independence and lifestyle, loss of income etc. are all big factors. But of course there are still "us" factors too. Last week (first week home) was bad. Weekend was intolerable. This week has started out better. Please offer up a thought for me, us, sanity, but most importantly peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thesis Update:
I have revisions to make. I have some easy ones, and some very difficult ones. The difficult ones are the ones in the writing. All the info is there, just needs to be said different, better. That is the hard part. If I had gotten all the changes made last week and submitted them by this Thursday, I could graduate this year. I won't, so I will finish them over the summer semester, so I won't graduate until NEXT June. They only have one graduation a year. What bunk is that?

1 Comments:

At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back KC. There's plenty of good news professionally, and I'm glad for that. One graduation a year is typical of some places, but they do and have made exceptions for some extraordinary. Sorry about the Jeep, the guys on flyspeck island wait for this opportunity every year. It's their 'windfall profit tax'. They really come to expect it. You buy theirs high, they buy yours low. And revisions of this order are to be welcomed: "The difficult ones are the ones in the writing. All the info is there, just needs to be said different, better." There's no reanalysis there, no alternative number crunching or differential modeling. That's quite fortunate. Prop open a good academic Thesaurus, and/or a dictionary for your field and some current journals, and you'll be fine. Just follow the examples as always. Add more description where needed. Always be as explicit and pedantic as possible. It's the secret to decent academic writing.

On the DCS front, I keep on thinking there's a Johnny Cash train wreck song that might cover it some, but not all. We've seen this particular train wreck coming from a long way away, and yet you seemingly welcomed it as an experience you were eagerly looking forward to. I imagine this is the way you can find out for certain if this tragic teen mind can withstand an adult relationship or even possibly a marriage. It's all valuable knowledge and experience, and it's better to find out whether or not this thing can work out long term. He may look awfully good, and the memories may be just as sweet, but if he's not the man you think he is or can be, I'd kiss him good bye sooner rather than later.

But then again I've been saying that since some of the first few bad curves and poor trestles all along this treacherous path. "It's a mighty rough road from Lynchburg to Danville", and I'm thinking it's not going to end well.

You however have a sterling future ahead of you, and I'm betting you get that fellowship too. And just in time to avoid the jump hopefully! Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home